Friday 20 April 2012

Advertisements I Truly Hate

The following are ads which I see frequently, and absolutely loathe.

Now, obviously this one is just a feeble attempt to make something original and associable. But, as companies usually do, they just ended up making it really annoying. And this one is especially bad, because it uses a hideously overused joke (spell it! "i-t"), as well as an infuriating catchphrase at the end. And honestly, whenever I hear that, it makes me want to go on a rampage. But what really gets me is that this is a YouTube commercial. You see, I watch the online news show SourceFed (which is great, by the way) on a regular basis, which means I easily watch this stupid excuse for an advertisement 2-3 times a day. Arg.




The one I actually see before viewing a video is quite a bit shorter than this one. I believe they cut out the "he cares if I can make ends meet", "and find a good job", "Jack's vision is in good hands", and "I'm Tom Mulcair. As a Cabinet Minister, then as a member of Jack's team, I've always fought for you."
Now, the ad doesn't make me feel quite as homicidal as the other one, but it's still pretty irritating after the 200th time I've seen it. For example, the people they have saying stuff just seem sort of- phoney, in a way. If you understand what I mean. But the main thing I don't like about it is the god awful music they have in it. Mostly the bit at the end where they have a clapping track. It just annoys me when songs which would otherwise be tolerable add clapping to it. In fact, the only music I can think of that sounds decent is Clapping Music. And all the stupid things about this advertisement are only made up for by the fact that this Tom guy has a cool beard.

Speaking of clapping music, it's actually quite interesting. What Reich did, was he created a basic pattern, which can be heard at the beginning, and then one set of clappers either moves a beat forward or backward. I can't remember which. You (whoever you are), should look at some Steve Reich (likely in the related videos of that link). It's all very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment