Sunday 4 March 2012

How Much Does The Atmosphere Weigh?

I wrote a program a little while back that calculates how much the atmosphere weighs. I never posted it here because first, I forgot, and second, it wasn't terribly accurate. But here it is:


#calculator for the total weight of earth's atmosphere
kmair=1.225*1000
print "Weight of one square kilometer of air (kilograms):", kmair
kmonground=kmair*510072000
kmongroundtons=kmonground/1000
print "Weight of Earth's atmosphere up to one kilometer in height (metric tons):", kmongroundtons
thermo=kmongroundtons*690
thousands=thermo/1000
print "Weight of Earth's atmosphere, excluding the exosphere (thousands/metric tons):", thousands
print "Written by Alexander MacTavish on 31/01/2012"
#and there you have it!


Anyway, as you can probably guess, I just did omse simple calculations, without taking into account particle distribution, and such stuff. And I'd love to add things like arced multiplications and stuff, but instead, I'm going to let anyone keep developing it to make it more accurate. Anyway, the current version of the program looks like this:





Oh, and



No comments:

Post a Comment